29.8.14

Super Cheesy Mac N’Cheese

Mac n’cheese is a favourite food of mine. I remember when I was little and my mom would make a mac n’cheese casserole with hot dogs in it. It was one of my favourite meals so I figured I would try it out myself, with a bit of a spin of course. Now the other day I was talking to my aunt about recipes and realized there are two kinds of people out there: the type that follow recipes to a T and measure absolutely everything out (her) and the type that never measures and just wings everything (me, unfortunately for you). So on that note here is what I think I put into my mac n’cheese…

Ingredients
2 medium tomatoes, crushed (about 1 cup)
2 Tbsp margarine
3 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup milk
2 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp flour
450g dried elbow macaroni
Breadcrumbs
Optional: 2 cups protein, cooked
Optional: Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

I started by boiling, peeling, and crushing two medium sized garden tomatoes. 


Add to this the margarine, cheddar, Parmesan, milk, and garlic. Melt this down on low-medium heat until it’s smooth. I find it best to use a whisk and stir continually to get a good consistency and avoid burning the cheese. While this is melting, prepare your macaroni. Once your macaroni is almost ready, whisk the flour into your cheese sauce. I chose to add a few shakes of cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes to mine for a bit of heat but you could also add other spices for a different taste. 

 
Now mix the sauce, macaroni, and your choice of protein (I used leftover chicken). Pour it into a casserole dish and top with a thin layer of breadcrumbs. Toss this in the oven at 350°F for 10 minutes or until it’s brown and crispy. Dig in and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment