15.7.14

Turkey Stuffed Peppers

First of all I would like to say I am no expert in the kitchen! In fact I am the furthest from it and the majority of stuff that I attempt does not turn out even close to how I would expect it to.  Secondly, this was my first time attempting stuffed peppers and I did not follow a recipe or measure out my ingredients.  I am that "cook" that just throws things together and hope it tastes good... or smells good since I rarely taste my food until I actually sit (well stand and feed the baby) and eat... anyways onto the "recipe".

I knew that I wanted to stuff my pepper with some ground turkey but really you could use any type of ground meat.  Since I'm doing the 21 Day Fix I will be using the colour coded containers as a measuring system.  So I browned my meat and then measured out two red (protein) containers worth of it and stored the rest in the fridge.  I figured one whole pepper to be about one green container's worth of veg so I filled an additional green container with odds and ends like mushrooms, onions, and some diced tomatoes in their juice but you could really add whatever fix approved veggies you want.  Just toss the veg and some seasoning (garlic powder, chili powder, and cayenne) into a pan and cook it down.  You want a bit of the tomato juice so it doesn't get all burnt and crispy but not so much that it looks like hamburger soup like mine did... but if you happen to have too much juiciness going on just strain it out and keep on going!

Then I cleaned out my pepper while the meat was cooling.  It's easiest to not overthink this and just cut the top out and use a spoon to scrap out the seeds.  And don't forget to wash your pepper of course!  Next line a baking sheet with some tinfoil (easy cleanup!) and put your pepper on it ready for stuffing!  I just used my hands to stuff as much meat as I could into the thing and, even though it was slightly overflowing, I managed to get all the meat into it.  Top it with a blue container of your chosen cheese (I picked Feta) and cook at 350F for about 45 minutes or until the smell is tantalizing you, the peppers look wrinkly, and the cheese is all melty and delicious looking!  

My hubby and I learnt the hard way that this dish is not a "clean eat" so be prepared to get a little messy! You may want to opt for a bowl over a plate... just sayin'...



No comments:

Post a Comment